Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Oooh The Little Mermaid.


This is The Little Mermaid. Anime version which is much more true to the book that of the Disney Version. I don't feel like typing out all that the book is about considering it is so complicated, so I am going to make a refererence from the wikipedia page

The Little Mermaid lives at the sea bottom with her father the Sea King, her grandmother, and her five older sisters, born one year apart. When a mermaid turns 15, she is allowed to swim to the surface to watch the world above, and as the sisters become old enough one of them visits the surface every year. As each of them returns the Little Mermaid listens longingly to their descriptions of the surface and human beings.
When the Little Mermaid turns 15 she ventures to the surface. She sees a ship with a handsome prince, and falls in love with him from a distance. There comes a great storm, and the prince almost drowns, but the Little Mermaid saves him and she delivers him unconscious to the shore near a temple. Here she waits until he is found by a young girl from the temple. The prince never sees the Little Mermaid.
The Little Mermaid asks her grandmother whether humans can live forever if they do not drown. She is told that no, humans have an even shorter lifespan than mermaids. Mermaids live for 300 years, but when they die they turn to sea foam and cease to exist. Humans, on the other hand, have a short lifespan on earth, but they have an eternal soul that lives on in heaven even after they die. The Little Mermaid spends her days longing for the prince and for an eternal soul. At last she goes to the Sea Witch who sells her a potion that gives her legs, in exchange for her tongue; the Little Mermaid has the most intoxicating voice in the world. But drinking the potion will make her feel like a sword is being passed through her, and walking on her feet will feel like walking on knives. And she will only get a soul if the prince loves her and marries her, for then a part of his soul will flow into her. Otherwise, at dawn on the first day after he marries another woman, the Little Mermaid will die broken-hearted and turn to sea foam like other merfolk.
The Little Mermaid drinks the potion and meets the prince, who is attracted to her beauty and grace even though she is mute. Most of all he likes to see her dance and she dances for him even though it feels like dancing on knives. The prince loves her like one loves a child.
The time comes when the king decides that the prince is to marry the neighboring king's daughter. The prince tells the Little Mermaid that he will not marry the princess because he does not love her. He can only love the young girl who once saved his life, the girl who unfortunately belongs to the temple. He also tells the Little Mermaid that she is beginning to take the temple girl's place in his heart. However, it turns out that the princess is the temple girl; she had only been sent to the temple to be educated. The prince loves her and the wedding is announced.
The prince and princess are married and the Little Mermaid's heart breaks. She thinks of all that she has given up in order to be with the prince and to gain an eternal soul - her beautiful voice, her wonderful home, her loving family, her life - and of all the pain that she has suffered; all without the prince ever having a thought thereof. She despairs, but before dawn her sisters come to her and give her a knife that the Sea Witch has given them in exchange for their hair. If the Little Mermaid slays the prince with the knife she will become a mermaid again and be able to live out her full life under the sea.
But the Little Mermaid cannot bring herself to kill the sleeping prince lying with his bride and, as dawn breaks, throws herself into the sea. Here her body dissolves into sea foam, but instead of ceasing to exist, she feels the warmth of the sun; she has turned into a spirit, a daughter of the air. The other daughters of the air tell her that she has become like them because she, like them, strove with all her heart to gain an eternal soul. As a mermaid her gaining a soul was dependent on another, the prince; but as a daughter of the air she will earn her own soul by doing good deeds. When 300 years have passed she will have earned her soul and will rise into the kingdom of God. This time can be shortened: with each good child she finds she subtracts a year, while she adds a day for each tear she must shed over a wicked child.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Little_Mermaid

I saw this version on Youtube and it got me very excited actually. I've read the book, but honestly didn't have the heart to finish it. I was too mad that she didn't just stab her prince. I really like this version, I love both of them. Disney's The Little Mermaid has always been one of my favorite movies. I suppose a little kid just wouldn't understand some of the lessons and philosophies taught in the book, so they had to make it more G rated than the book. This version also spiked my curiousity when I saw it because it was an anime. I reccomend checking out the rest of the movie on Youtube. Its interesting to see how this differs from the Disney version and the ideas and beliefs that is poses.

Would you have killed your prince?

So yeah. This was my first post. Comment and tell me if it was dumb or not ^_^

PunkChick

<< Return to the Front Page

10 Comments:

At May 16, 2007, 3:49:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

xD The whole reason why they modified it was because of the many versions of The Little Mermaid there is always someone dying. It's either the little mermaid turns into foam and goes up to heaven, she kills the princes or she throws herself into the ocean. They wanted to make it "family" friendly. xD

 
At May 16, 2007, 11:06:00 PM, Blogger Kami... said...

Disney has the tendancy of changing the stories of many of the movies they re-make.

 
At May 17, 2007, 9:13:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I adore anime, but i still prefer the disney version to this version XD Lucy

 
At May 17, 2007, 11:38:00 AM, Blogger Kami... said...

The Japanese version IS from the 70's... I didn't know people were interested in things that old...
I figured silly current day anime on American TV was more the trend here.

 
At May 17, 2007, 11:52:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not so shallow as to ignore things from before my time Kami. You probably shouldn't make assumptions about all those on ani-pock.

 
At May 17, 2007, 4:10:00 PM, Blogger Kami... said...

I've said many times I don't understand the youth of Ani-Pock... which is why I've only posted once.
Which seemed to mean very little to the youth of Ani-Pock...

When I hope people may want to learn a little something, I'm usually proved wrong... I try not to assume anyones interests anymore... I just post what I see...
So if I see people talking mainly about anime that is from 2006 and up... well... probably you should talk to them.

 
At May 17, 2007, 4:56:00 PM, Blogger Kami... said...

Oh, perhaps I should clear that up a bit...
I TRY not to make any initial assumptions on people... if one does, they are often surprised...
People write what they know and what they CHOSE to show...
So if people SHOW me they are interested in anime no older then the last year... what am I to think?

 
At May 18, 2007, 2:53:00 AM, Blogger Purly said...

I would have done it just like Marina. I couldn't kill another for my own wellbeing. Though I also couldn't have been so bold that I would give up my voice and possibly my life just to be with someone... Then again... I also believe in love at first sight. Ugh, complicated...

 
At May 18, 2007, 12:43:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

KAAMMIII :3 It's not becuase it's old that i dun like it, it's becuase it doesn't have all the muuuusicc XD That's what makes disney films so magical, the music. LOOOSIEE

 
At Dec 31, 2009, 6:07:00 PM, Blogger ReallyDude? said...

Thank you SO MUCH FOR POSTING THIS! I have vague memories of this movie from my childhood. my brother and I loved it, and the ending was so sad! I can't stand the modern american version, this is awesome. I've been searching for it for years!

 

Post a Comment

Lots more cool stuff here!! Continue browsing...

Archives: (Oldest) April 2006 May 2006 June 2006 July 2006 August 2006 September 2006 October 2006 November 2006 December 2006 January 2007 February 2007 March 2007 April 2007 May 2007 June 2007 July 2007 August 2007 September 2007 October 2007 November 2007 December 2007 January 2008 February 2008 March 2008 April 2008 May 2008 June 2008 July 2008 August 2008 September 2008 October 2008 November 2008 December 2008 January 2009 February 2009 March 2009 April 2009 May 2009 June 2009 July 2009 August 2009 September 2009 November 2009 December 2009 January 2010 December 2010 (Most Recent)